Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Today, you were in a white Honda Civic

Parked in the fire lane, hazards flashing
Through the noise of traffic and our footsteps, a baby cries
NO, it couldn't be as I peer in through the tinted windows
Not one baby....but two - twins, no more than a year old

Look around, scan the perimeter
Where is the mom...Panera for coffee?....Petco for Duke's new bag of food?
No one.....no where.....and now they are both crying
Where can be more important than with these two?

Not exactly sure what to do...try the door - locked
Cell phone - 911 - what is my emergency?
2 babies - locked in car - parked in fire lane - no one with them
Hold while I patch you through - I can hear the panic in their voice or is that just mine?

All of a sudden....there's mom - getting in the car like this was business as usual
HEY - I yell - this is YOUR car? These are YOUR babies?? What the fuck do you think you were doing?
She's shocked.....what? What do you mean? I only ran in there for just a second!
I tell the cop on the other end of the phone, the mom is here now and she is mad that I am calling you

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, please don't call the police....it was only one quick second that I was in the store, I swear!
I stare at her blankly and hold the phone up - too late
I've already been here for five minutes

A man comes out of Panera, tells her she broke the golden rule
Sorry, sorry, sorry, I cracked the window for them - they were asleep
Cracked the window? I scream at her - they are NOT dogs!
Backseat - the babies are still crying....she hasn't touched them....looked at them

Dispatch tells me officer is on the way
She moves the car out of the fire lane and parks
Finally the babies are tended to, brought out of the car
She collapses on the sidewalk beside me in tears

Now it's just us, woman to woman - no one else exists
This time she whispers, I'm sorry - they were asleep....I am angry all the way through me, but I cry with her....I'm sorry too
I had no choice - the reasons too long to list

Officer arrives, tells her it was illegal to do what she did
No leaving babies in cars by themselves
No parking in the fire lane
Have a nice day

Wait just one sec, Officer
Tell her what would have happened if she hadn't shown up
Tell her how her life would have changedwith the addition of new abbreviations; CPS, DHS, FCPD, FCCC.....

She shakes with fear....finally!
I grab her hand and look into her eyes
I don't judge you...
We take a few deep breaths
Not sure how to disconnect this strange bond
I stand and tell her to take care and love those babies more today than ever before

Walk into the store to do my business
Grab the few things I was there to get
At the checkout line, I see her
Babies in their stroller and she is picking up a balloon bouquet....

Where is more important than with these babies?
Who knew?....it's in the store buying balloons!

No comments: